Thursday, August 6, 2009

Measure of a Woman


I just spent the morning with a very interesting group of women. They were all of the mindset that as women we need to have our own separate lives aside from our families in order to feel complete. They feel it is important to "be your own person".
While I do not feel that I am defined by my children and my husband, I recognize that they are a great part of who I am and I do not feel the need for a life apart from them. I do not feel lost in the life that I share with my children and husband.
I am often asked when I will be returning to school and when I will start a career of my own. I can't possible want to sit at home forever as my brain turns to mush....
I love being at home with my kids and there are hardly any moments when my brain feels like mush. Since ending my college career and having children I have been able to explore many of my own interests and ideals. I am free to experiment in the kitchen as often as I please. I love being the head cook in the house. It is always challenging and exciting to make delicious food while staying within our not so hefty budget. I have been able to study health and nutrition and focus on getting my own body into shape. I have read every book that I wanted to read. I have been to the temple and learned more about the gospel. I have done all of this while being a wife and mother. I am still myself, there is just more to me, and there will be more tomorrow than there is today :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

GREAT post! I second all that you just said too!
Cute picture of you and Mia too!

Rebecca said...

You put this so well. Since I became a mom and started teaching piano, I've had much more "me" time. Because of that, I've discovered so many passions, talents, and hobbies I never even knew existed because I never had the time to pursue or think about them!

It IS terribly important to have individuality when you are a mother, since it is so easy to be sucked up into the lives of children and forget who you are. But individuality is just that: It's individual. Different for each person.

It does not always have to mean a career and a PhD. Pursuing talents while mothering is just as admirable.